Sunday, August 12, 2012

The Father and Son Astro Team

Stargazers Features the Stargazers!
Young stargazers, astronomy enthusiasts & amateur astronomers

Our next stargazer feature highlights a unique father-and-son tandem of amateur astronomers. Meet Gary and Steinar Andreassen, members of the Astronomical League of the Philippines. These two joined the ALP only recently, but have become very active since. They both share a wonderful passion for astronomy and astroimaging.
setting up their scopes at Caliraya


Here is Gary's recollection of how he and Steinar got started in astronomy:
One of my earliest childhood memories was actually seeing the moon landing on TV. I was three years old then and the image stuck in my head. I think that’s when my fascination about all things astronomical and cosmological started.



About three years ago, I was at National Bookstore and lo and behold I saw a telescope being sold all for the princely sum of Php 800. I bought it and later that night when I got home immediately used it to look at the moon. To say that I was dumbstruck is an understatement. I immediately called Steinar and showed him the moon on the scope.
The Andreassens during the BWB: Hello Mars event

In doing so, I wasn’t aiming to get him obsessed with astronomy as I was. I just really wanted to show him the moon close up for educational reasons. Apparently, its effect on him was more than I intended, and he got bit by the astronomy bug as bad as I was.


Jupiter occultation by the Andreassens


It is a wonderful site to see when the family shares a common passion. Keep it up Team Andreassen! :)

No comments: